February isn’t over yet and I’m still loving my school nutrition recipes! I’m sharing the Sloppy Joe recipe that we used to make at school that I have since tweaked just a teensy little bit for here at home. This is a frequently requested meal that is quite simple to make! French Fries and a Tossed Salad compliment the Sloppy Joes and make it a complete and tasty meal for your family.
I always make a big pan of this as we love having it for lunches the next day!
- 2 lbs Ground Beef
- 1 small Yellow Onion – diced
- 12 oz Tomato Paste
- 1 Cup Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Yellow Mustard
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Tbsp White Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- Dash of Black Pepper (to taste)
- Hamburger Buns
- Sliced Cheese
- Brown the ground beef and onions together until cooked through (Ground beef must reach a temperature of 145 degrees)
- Drain grease from beef and onions.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and mix until well blended in the beef.
- Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Place a slice of cheese on the hamburger bun before spooning Sloppy Joe onto the bun – the heat from the meat will melt the cheese
- Watch the smiles as everyone enjoys their meal!